My name is Darpan Saini, and I am running for Vice President of Student Activities. I am currently pursuing MSc in Management. I am extremely passionate about every student having the opportunity to get involved in extracurricular activities while studying at Brunel University. I am determined to make the students' activities and services more accessible and sustainable and to use them to improve a sense of connectivity and community amongst our members.
Our students' association plays a massive role in our university experience. Although we are here to work hard, we must not forget to play hard too! I aim to create a fun and exciting students union which actively engages students. Further, I want to improve the quality of services: from student living, support services, representation, entertainment, and food and drinks served in our union.
If elected, I will push for the following:
• Initiate #Represent: An initiative to relieve societies of administrative burden. This will cover reducing the booking time for rooms, the aforementioned negotiations done on behalf of societies and also allow the societies and students to work closely, share more information and focus on the necessary.
• Empower societies: Ensure all societies are presented with opportunities to work alongside the union to promote their activities and events, including volunteering and charity events.
• More Student Oriented Events: Work towards organising more interactive, participation and showcase oriented events for students. This will involve expanding beyond lectures and seminars to more Brunel University’s events that focus on having students interact and participate while increasing the branding.
• Increase outreach of Mental Health programs and increase discretion
• Lobby for a regular funding increase to sports clubs and societies, work better with teams and societies to approach alternative methods of obtaining funding. These include special bursaries for events and external sponsorships using the Brunel University SU
• Using the Brunel University Students Union network to promote creative talent
• Expanding to more venues, partnering with more events for student nights
• Increasing the frequency of initiatives such as the Brunel Plus Award
• More inclusive nights on campus
• Better rewards for SU volunteers
• Ensuring the Venue Bar is open later than 10 pm at least three days a week
• A weekly open Event promoting and developing student talent, whether it’s DJs, artists, bands, comics or others
I would love to be given the opportunity to do all of the above. Please make sure you vote for me between 6 AM to 8 PM on 4th March. Thank you very much.