Skip to main content







What is council tax?

Council Tax is a local taxation system set by local authorities in England, Scotland and Wales. It is used to pay for local services that they provide, such as rubbish collection, the police and the fire brigade, and Adult Social Care. It is based on the value of the house, flat or other accommodation in which you live.


All full-time students are exempt from paying Council Tax, however their spouses or any other non-student adults that may live with them, would still have to pay it.


For the purposes of Council Tax, “full time” is defined as undertaking study, tuition or work experience for 21 hours a week, and attending the course for 24 weeks of the year. This means that part-time university students may also qualify for the exemption depending on their course.

how do i get the exemption?

It is your responsibility to ensure that your local authority knows you are a student and are exempt from paying Council Tax. If you receive a bill from your local authority, you should contact them immediately to tell them you are a student. You will need to provide evidence of your student status letter.

If you need any further assistance, or have any questions, please get in touch and our advisors will help. It is really important that you do not ignore a bill that you receive, even if you believe you are expempt from paying it.

useful pages:

International Student Advice and Guidance - Council Tax

GOV.UK - Council tax discounts for full time students