I am Wik, I’m 22 years old and I’m from Poland and I study Psychology. I’ve been involved with a number of societies and activities in my time at Brunel including supporting Brunel Student Justice, attending Cult film society.
My biggest commitments have been to my work, both at Brunel and beyond. You might recognise me from my time behind the Bar at Loco’s or other bars in Uxbridge. I’ve also worked extensively with P3 Charity, a local organisation that helps support young people with housing insecurity.
These experiences made me passionate about working with students and young people and helping them solve the issues they are facing. In particular they strengthen my resolve to help improve student’s mental health and wellbeing. I am involved in multiple ED&I committees, where the work focuses on making sure all the students are treated fairly and receive all the help they need to have equal chances in achieving academic success and thriving in university. It is something that made up a significant portion of my manifesto’s aims. I’ve outlined some of those aims and objectives below:
- A campaign started last year that focuses on educating students and staff on consent,
- Its aims are to make our students feel heard and safer on campus by e.g. providing trainings (by-stander, consent, etc.) and spaces where students can share their experiences.
- Free Period Products on campus
- Provide sanitary products in Hamilton Centre and later in more buildings around campus,
- Normalize conversations around periods and improve understanding of them.
Women's Week on campus
- More needs to be done e.g. girl’s night in Venue, empowerment talks, etc.
- Improve student engagement in Union’s work
- Empower Reps and Student Assembly members to engage more with university meetings and Union’s campaigns,
- Collaborate with societies.
- Improve communication between students and their personal tutors, increase level of their involvement.
If you’d like to know more, or want to get involved with any of my work, don’t hesitate to get in touch. You can email me Wiktoria.Swoboda@brunel.ac.uk or DM me on Instagram @WiktoriaVPCHMLS
I look forward to hearing from you and hope we can make a real difference this year.